Gå til innhold

JEPPE: E46 M3 SMG sedan prosjekt

Jeppe

Anbefalte innlegg

I have used this week to sand the car down for paint. This is much work! The welding job turned out to be a LOT more work than we thought as well, but it is coming along nicely.

Welding the front fender.

CIMG1105.jpg

CIMG1108.jpg

CIMG1167.jpg

There was a lot of tension in the fender after it was welded, so had to split it up and weld it together to remove the tension in the metal.

CIMG1154.jpg

CIMG1107.jpg

Welding the rear.

CIMG1109.jpg

CIMG1114.jpg

Filling in the gaps.

CIMG1110.jpg

CIMG1111.jpg

Front bumper sanded down. There was a lot of stone chips damage so had to sand it down to the plastic.

CIMG1120.jpg

The door openings sanded down. A lot of work..

CIMG1117.jpg

A lot of stone chips on the hood as well that had to be sanded down.

CIMG1127.jpg

CIMG1142.jpg

There is a lot of work to be done on the trunk. This is the part that we have to change the most to get everything to fit as it schould. The back plate on the trunk have been moved further back to get the angle againts the fender right, and we are working on getting the rear lights to fit.

CIMG1112.jpg

CIMG1166.jpg

CIMG1165.jpg

This is how the car looks like at this stage.

CIMG1159.jpg

CIMG1161.jpg

CIMG1163.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Removed the M3 mirrors cause im going to use them on the sedan.

CIMG1177.jpg

CIMG1178.jpg

CIMG1180.jpg

CIMG1179.jpg

I also noticed that these two brackets for the water tank is missing on the sedan. So have to get them welded.

CIMG1187.jpg

Been really busy with other things in the past weeks. Used every night last week to get the BMW 2002 race ready for the race this weekend. It paid off in the end, got two 1. place!

Here is a little update from the welder. He has welded the spare wheel well M3 style:

Ta-foto-0035.jpg

Here with the M3 foam insert:

Ta-foto-0036.jpg

And a little picture from my race this weekend, I think it was a really nice picture, just wanted to share with you guys. On two wheels! :D

csm.08.1404b.jpg

There is no progress on the car. But I got some new parts.

Reinforced rear shock mounts:

1.jpg

Matte black grill and gills:

2.jpg

Parts are arriving, I just need the car now...

CIMG1203.jpg

CIMG1204.jpg

M3Project01012008-08.JPG

M3Project01012008-09.JPG

M3Project01012008-11.JPG

M3Project01012008-12.JPG

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Now after a way to long break we are finally working on the car again.

Working on the inside of the rear fender:

CIMG1284.jpg

CIMG1293.jpg

Putting on some zink spray before the undercoat:

CIMG1302.jpg

Sanding down the M3 style "spare tire well":

CIMG1296.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Sanded down the M3 mirrors:

CIMG1298.jpg

And some other stuff:

CIMG1300.jpg

Sanding down the welds:

CIMG1303.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Did some work on the car today. Started with sanding down the wheel well. Also made cuts in preparation for the subframe reinforcements.

CIMG1316.jpg

Then spaying it with zinkspray.

CIMG1322.jpg

One of the most important things to use some time on at this stage is rust prevention. So im using different products where its needed ecpesially around the welds.

CIMG1313.jpg

CIMG1327.jpg

First coat under the fenders. I will take another coat here to hide and protect.

CIMG1324.jpg

Its slowly getting there ;)

CIMG1330.jpg

We worked on the car today. Started the day with cutting the inside edge on the fender to make room for some wide tires. Taped the inside of the edge so it was easier to see where to cut.

CIMG1345.jpg

Fender cut and edge smoothed by hand with sandpaper.

CIMG1349.jpg

Removed all the windows.

CIMG1357.jpg

CIMG1358.jpg

CIMG1359.jpg

First we used a couple of layers of carbonfiber to build the edge on the fender higher so it would meet the trunk cover. Sanded that down. Then a small layer of body filler on top of that to finish the shape off. Its not finished yet but wery close. This takes a lot of time to get the shape exactly as you want and at the same time it have to fit together with the trunk. On this picture you can se the carbonfiber layers underneath some of the body filler.

CIMG1360.jpg

CIMG1361.jpg

CIMG1363.jpg

CIMG1362.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Today I started mounting the lock on the trunk. The lock didn't fit because the carbon used is thicker than the steel on the OEM trunk. So I had to grind it down to get the lock to fit. Also had to make a hole for the arm that connects the two locks.

CIMG1367.jpg

CIMG1369.jpg

Then it was time to get the M3 mirrors to fit. Had the instructions from Rogue, but had to make som more modifications to the mirror base to get it to fit perfect. This takes a lot of time... Got one side almost finished.

CIMG1373.jpg

Taped and ready to cut.

CIMG1375.jpg

CIMG1376.jpg

CIMG1377.jpg

CIMG1382.jpg

Have to get some new rubber seals because the OEM mirrors have left some marks.

CIMG1381.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Today I got both mirrors adjusted and they now fit wery good on the sedan.

Also got them completely dissasembled.

Ta-foto-0006.jpg

New holes for the M3 mirrors.

Ta-foto-0015.jpg

Sanded down the parts around the windows. These will be painted glossy black.

Ta-foto-0007.jpg

New parts for the doors.

Ta-foto-0008.jpg

Here you can se how much the door has been widened.

Ta-foto-0014.jpg

Testing with some e90 wheels. Need some spacers..

Ta-foto-0022.jpg

u.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I also got a good deal with a racingteam. I get to buy used slick tires from them. They use them just for one short race, so there is plenty left in them. I think this will stick to the track... I just need som track wheels now. Im thinking of some CSL rep in 9.5 18" all around.

CIMG1389.jpg

The car is now ready for primer! And it schould be primed this weekend.

CIMG1393.jpg

CIMG1394.jpg

CIMG1398.jpg

CIMG1396.jpg

CIMG1401.jpg

Car is primed ;) Now we have to sand it down to get everything perfect.

CIMG1403.jpg

CIMG1404.jpg

CIMG1405.jpg

CIMG1406.jpg

CIMG1407.jpg

CIMG1408.jpg

CIMG1410.jpg

CIMG1411.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Got my track wheels today.:) They are CSL rep 9.5x18 et45. Im going to use a 12mm spacer on the front and 20mm at the back. Tires are Michelin slicks.

CIMG1418.jpg

CIMG1421.jpg

CIMG1416.jpg

Most of the car is sanded down after the primer. Paint is next week if nothing goes wrong.:D

CIMG1426.jpg

CIMG1427.jpg

CIMG1428.jpg

CIMG1429.jpg

CIMG1430.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Since I wasn't 100% sure I wanted Le Mans blue, we painted the front fenders in Le mans blue and my second choice Space Grey. And now im 100% le Mans blue. The color is fantastic on the curvy shapes of the M3. All the lines and curves are highlighted, and the paint is so glossy it looks like the paint is wet... Pictures don't do it justice. Space grey is also really nice with lots of metallic in it. If I wanted a grey car I would for sure paint it in that color.

CIMG1453.jpg

CIMG1452.jpg

CIMG1454.jpg

CIMG1455.jpg

CIMG1456.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Picked it up at the painter today. And what a nice surprise I got there. The paint is absolutely perfect!! :D The painter has done a really impressive job. And now you can also see what an insane job my friend Per who did the bodywork have done. It looks like wet paint... To get it this good he painted the car then sanded it down again, then finished off with a second layer of clear coat. The result is amazing but also costly, so now I'm broke but it's worth it..:D It would be stupid to get a bad paint job after all the work we have put into this car...

Then some pictures!:

CIMG1503.jpg

CIMG1501.jpg

CIMG1502.jpg

CIMG1499.jpg

CIMG1504.jpg

CIMG1505.jpg

CIMG1506.jpg

CIMG1508.jpg

CIMG1509.jpg

CIMG1510.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Had to try it with the CSL 18" wheels to get a better impression of how it would look, and it does look good...:D Had to but my friend into the trunk to get it lowered...hehe

CIMG1524.jpg

CIMG1527.jpg

CIMG1528.jpg

CIMG1531.jpg

The more parts you install the better it looks.;)

CIMG1536.jpg

CIMG1537.jpg

CIMG1539.jpg

CIMG1541.jpg

Im getting the other parts next week. Im really happy with how it came out, and now I'm really looking forward to start building. I have summer vacation for two weeks now, and I'm going to work on the car almost every day. So more updates soon...;)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have used a couple of days just cleaning and organizing the new garage. It was a real mess and you don't want that when your working on project like this. So yesterday I started working on the M3, and the goal for the day was to get the engine and gearbox out.

More painted parts.

CIMG1544.jpg

CIMG1545.jpg

Car ready for disassembly.

CIMG1547.jpg

There are a lot of connectors that have to be disconnected. This is the right side.

CIMG1555.jpg

Got the exhaust and driveshaft out. The standard M3 exhaust is really heavy, there is a lot of weight that can be saved there.

CIMG1606.jpg

Front suspension.

CIMG1587.jpg

CIMG1588.jpg

Starting to remove the engine.

CIMG1598.jpg

Almost out.

CIMG1601.jpg

Finally..

CIMG1605.jpg

CIMG1608.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...