Gå til innhold

JEPPE: E46 M3 SMG sedan prosjekt

Jeppe

Anbefalte innlegg

Dette er prosjekt tråden til min E46 M3 sedan. Orginal tråden fra byggestart til slutt ligger på e46fanatics.com og går over 70 sider med spørsmål/svar og kommentarer: E46fanatics.com

Har kopiert det jeg har skrevet i den tråden over hit.

Donor bilen var en helt strøken 2002 BMW M3 SMG som hadde gått i Italia hele sitt liv. Fordelen med å bruke en strøken og hel bil i steden for et vrak var at da visste jeg at alt fungerte og alle delene var i orden.

Prisforskjellen var heller ikke stor når man tenker på hvor mye man må koste på i deler på en vraka bil. Også sitter jeg igjen med et helt karosseri jeg kommer til å få bruk for senere.. ;) Bilen bar preg av

å være fra Italia da den var like strøken under. Bare litt rengjøring av delene så var de som nye.

Bilde-041.jpg

Bilde-045.jpg

Bilen ble kjøpt inn fra Tyskland i mai 2008.

Prosjekt bilen var en 1998 318i:

Untitled-1.jpg

Denne var også helt strøken og hadde akkurat blitt hellakkert og byttet mye deler. Eieren ble litt rar når jeg fortalte hva jeg skulle gjøre med den påkosta bilen hans..;)

Poenget var i begynnelsen av prosjektet å bare skru over motor, drivverk, hjuloppheng, ledningsnett osv. for å få en bil som gikk som en M3 men til en mye lavere pris enn en orginal M3. Men etter jeg hadde kjøpt inn

bilene mente min kamerat Per at han kunne hjelpe meg med å bygge over M3 skjermene og lage en "M3" sedan også utseendemessig. Ok sa jeg å så var vi igang.

Og da ble poenget mer å lage en helt unik bil ingen andre hadde, men med et orginalt utseende. BMW lagde aldri en E46 M3 sedan men når bilen ble ferdig skulle det se ut som den kom rett ut fra BMW fabrikken.

Og da ble lista lagt høyt og prosjektet tok av, og jeg har vel ikke spart så mye penger kontra å kjøpe en orginal M3. Men jeg har en unik bil ingen andre har.

Jeg ville også gjøre alt lovlig og få bilen godkjent. Var litt lei av å kjøre rundt med trimma biler som ikke var godkjente med følgene det kan få både avgift og forsikringsmessig.

Bilen er nå godkjent hos biltilsynet med M3 motor, drivverk, hjuloppheng + stoptech bremser og KW dempere.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Startet å jobbe på bilen i slutten av mai 2008.

Finally they meet...

CIMG0740.jpg

One part off, 1 million left..

CIMG0743.jpg

CIMG0744.jpg

Started working on the front fenders to see how much difference it is between the M3 and sedan. And there was more of a difference than i thought..

The M3 fender is longer, and the door on the M3 is placed further back.

CIMG0742.jpg

CIMG0749.jpg

The M3 fender is also taller. Here is the sedan fender mounted on the M3. Will need to get hold of a skilled body shop guy for this. Because you have to shorten the fender I think the gills will have to go. Not to much of a worry, the car will only get a cleaner look without them I think.

CIMG0750.jpg

CIMG0751.jpg

But apart from that it fits perfekt...

CIMG0752.jpg

Started to tear the 318 apart. Forgot to emty the AC system, so will have to get equipment for that tomorrow. Thats how far I got today, continue on sunday.

CIMG0753.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Got the car as high as possible on the jack stands..

Bilde-001.jpg

My plan for today was to get the engine and transmission out. And to remove most of the parts in the engine bay. Got the AC system emtied, so I could remove the AC condenser, radiator and oil cooler.

Bilde-002.jpg

Then I started working on the engine. Found out that BMWs are really nice cars to work on. There are no hidden screws that are impossible to reach, everything is really straight forward. The engine and transmission is only attached to the chassis in 4 bolts, of course there are a lot of things attached to it though....

Got the engine strapped to the crane.

Bilde-003.jpg

Then you have to start pulling and lifting..

Bilde-004.jpg

Almost there...

Bilde-005.jpg

Bilde-006.jpg

Finally I got the little engine out..

Bilde-007.jpg

Bilde-008.jpg

Bilde-009.jpg

Some of the parts.

Bilde-012.jpg

Almost ready for paint. Just the braking system and tubing left. And a little cleaning.

Bilde-011.jpg

Thats it for today. Next thing is to get the dash and everything inside the car out. Picking up the OEM M3 rear fenders tomorrow, im excited to see how im going to fit those..

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Got the rear M3 panels today. Thay came in these small boxes...

Bilde-0010.jpg

Bilde-0100.jpg

Got some work done on the car this evening. Started to work on the dash. This was surprisingly easy. I have removed several dash boards on MB and VW and this was so much easier:) I like BMW more and more now..

Bilde-001.jpg

Bilde-002.jpg

Then I removed the steel frame.

Bilde-005.jpg

Bilde-006.jpg

And then the heater box.

Bilde-007.jpg

Bilde-009.jpg

I also got the CSL trunk in FRP, but the quality was really bad. Im returning it tomorrow and ordering the carbon version.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Got some things done to day as well. Some of the wires went under the roof, so had to take it out. Im also changing it to all black roof.

CIMG0810.jpg

CIMG0814.jpg

CIMG0812.jpg

Then I had to remove everything in the trunk to get to the wires going to the rear lights.

CIMG0811.jpg

CIMG0813.jpg

Finally got all the wiring harness out, what a mess...

CIMG0817.jpg

CIMG0818.jpg

So clean without the wires.

CIMG0815.jpg

CIMG0816.jpg

The garage was now flooded with parts, so had to spend some hours cleaning and organizing the parts.

Here are the bolts, screws and clips so far.

CIMG0821.jpg

Lot of spare parts for e46.

CIMG0822.jpg

Got the pedals out.

CIMG0824.jpg

CIMG0825.jpg

Not much left here.

CIMG0826.jpg

My plan was to use the M3 rear lights as well. The angle of the trunk is different.

CIMG0823.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Got the rest of the braking system out.

CIMG0827.jpg

CIMG0828.jpg

Next was the steering rack.

CIMG0829.jpg

More parts.

CIMG0831.jpg

Fuel tank.

CIMG0835.jpg

CIMG0837.jpg

The breather system for the fuel tank consisted of a lot of parts. It went into all these things then into the intake. hmm..

CIMG0838.jpg

CIMG0840.jpg

CIMG0841.jpg

Got the rear bumper off.

CIMG0842.jpg

CIMG0843.jpg

Working on getting the fuel and brake lines out.

CIMG0846.jpg

CIMG0847.jpg

Finally..

CIMG0848.jpg

Not much left under here.

CIMG0850.jpg

or here.

CIMG0852.jpg

or here.

CIMG0853.jpg

Thats it for today. Next thing to do is to clean the car, that is a dirty job.. Then start the work on the fenders and getting it ready for paint.

CIMG0855.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, you can have racing seats in the back of a sedan...

CIMG0864.jpg

CIMG0865.jpg

Im not going to do it though, this seat is for the 2002tii racing car.

Started removing the inside of the doors.

CIMG0886.jpg

CIMG0889.jpg

CIMG0891.jpg

CIMG0892.jpg

CIMG0893.jpg

Then I remowed the hood on the sedan. This thing was extremely heavy! and I thought, damn I have to get a carbon hood.. If you sedan owners want to save a lot of weight, buy a carbon hood.

I was expecting the M3 hood to be just as heavy, but to my surprise it was really light! No point in a carbon hood.

CIMG0894.jpg

Got the bumper off the M3. I struggled with it on friday and could not figure out how to get it off. Had to check on fanatics to find the answer. You just have to pull hard...

CIMG0867.jpg

CIMG0868.jpg

Then I got the front off. Thanks to a smart design by BMW you can get this off in one big piece.

CIMG0870.jpg

CIMG0869.jpg

Tested on the sedan. Perfect fit.

CIMG0872.jpg

Then the bumper.

CIMG0873.jpg

Lights.

CIMG0874.jpg

Hood and fender. The fender doesn't fit because of how the door is on the sedan, but you get the idea. And the hood needs some adjusting to get it to close. But you get a feel on how it's going to look.

CIMG0901.jpg

CIMG0899.jpg

CIMG0900.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Removed the rear bumper from the M3.

CIMG0908.jpg

And but it on the sedan.

CIMG0911.jpg

CIMG0912.jpg

It fits perfect except for the fenders. It needs some M3 fenders.

CIMG0913.jpg

CIMG0914.jpg

CIMG0916.jpg

CIMG0917.jpg

CIMG0918.jpg

Then I removed the side skirts on the sedan.

CIMG0919.jpg

CIMG0925.jpg

And on the M3.

CIMG0924.jpg

And mounted them on the sedan. These where a pain to get on because of all those plastic klips

CIMG0922.jpg

CIMG0923.jpg

They are a couple of millimeters to short, but it's so little you don't notice it.

Thats it for today. My friend and expert body shop guy is going to look at the car on wednesday. So hopefully we can start on the fenders soon.:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A little update. Had my body shop expert to look at my car today, and we discussed how we schould do the fenders. He was positive to getting the rear lights of the M3 to work on the sedan!:) he is going to do changes to the carbon trunk because this is easier to work with. We figured out where and how we are going to cut the fenders and car. So we will start on this soon.

We tried the M3 trunk on the sedan just to see what the difference was. Didn't fit...hehe..

CIMG0955.jpg

CIMG0957.jpg

CIMG0960.jpg

Also tried the CSL trunk, this was better...

CIMG0962.jpg

CIMG0965.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Marking up where to cut the sedan fender.

CIMG0971.jpg

Test fitting.

CIMG0975.jpg

Starting to cut out the rear fender.

CIMG0976.jpg

Oops..no way back :)

CIMG0983.jpg

CIMG0985.jpg

Test fitting. The M3 is also wider above the arch, thats one of the reasons im using a lot more then just the M3 arch.

CIMG0986.jpg

CIMG0994.jpg

CIMG0995.jpg

Testing with the front fender.

CIMG0988.jpg

CIMG0989.jpg

CIMG0990.jpg

Testing with the gills moved a little bit forward.

CIMG0992.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Im doing the same on the other side this weekend. It's going to be really hard to make everything fit correctly, especially the trunk with the M3 lights and all. This is definitely not the easiest way of doing it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Did the other side today:

CIMG1002.jpg

Got the rear M3 back plate:

CIMG1012.jpg

Started drilling out the spot welds:

Untitled-1.jpg

CIMG1014.jpg

CIMG1016.jpg

Finally:

CIMG1017.jpg

CIMG1019.jpg

Testing on car, looks nice:

CIMG1021.jpg

Last thing to do before I send it to welding was to emty the rear doors.

CIMG1022.jpg

CIMG1028.jpg

CIMG1029.jpg

CIMG1030.jpg

CIMG1031.jpg

Was impossible to get the rubber sealing around the door out in one piece..

CIMG1033.jpg

CIMG1034.jpg

CIMG1035.jpg

Down on the wheels again, and ready to go. Hehe...the car looks like crap now.

CIMG1036.jpg

On the way to the welder...:)

CIMG1039.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Since the sedan is at the welder I started on the M3 today. Started with cleaning up the work space and making room for the M3 parts.

M3 ready to get dismantled.

CIMG1041.jpg

CIMG1043.jpg

Removed the air ducts.

CIMG1044.jpg

And air filter box.

CIMG1045.jpg

CIMG1046.jpg

Radiator, condencer and oil cooler for the power steering.

CIMG1052.jpg

Fan box.

CIMG1051.jpg

Next now is to get the engine and transmission out.

CIMG1050.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Got this today from jlevisw.com, KW V3 :D

CIMG1055.jpg

The car is still at the welder. But I got some parts today from turner motorsport. :D

The stoptech brakes was bigger than i thought... ;)

CIMG1067.jpg

CIMG1066.jpg

CIMG1069.jpg

And camber plates.

CIMG1062.jpg

Here is a little teaser pic I got from the body shop. :D

CIMG1085.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...